Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Why "No Caboose?"

 You be asking why "No Caboose" for the blog title (or maybe not)?  It goes back to my general dislike, or perhaps indifference, towards the ubiquitous caboose.  You see, it is just not proper to not be absolutely enthralled with the caboose.  How could this be you might ask?  ALL model railroaders and train fans love the caboose!  

For me I think it goes back to when and where I grew up.  Phoenix Arizona is served by 2 major railroads - Southern Pacific (now UP) and Santa Fe (now BNSF).  But unlike all other major cities in the country, Phoenix does not have mainline service from any railroad.  Both SP and SF service Phoenix via very long branch lines.  Because of this, when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s, I mostly saw local switching operations.  This is especially true as I have lived mostly in the southwest valley which is towards the end of the functional line for SP.  I don't think I can remember EVER seeing a train with a caboose on it.  Had I grown up in southern California, or somewhere in the Midwest, I would have a whole different take on this.  I basically have no nostalgic feelings for the caboose.

As a model railroader, the only caboose model I ever owned came with my very first trainset.  It looked just like this...


This is the Bachmann Rock Island (the Rock) caboose and I really did love this model.  Not because it is a caboose but because 12 year old me loved the logo.  It is a very cool depiction of my first initial. I have no idea what happened to mine.  Long purged from my collection and my memory.

My friend Tim is much more inline with standard thinking concerning the iconic caboose and with my return to the hobby he made sure I had one on my roster.



This is the Athearn Genesis Southern Pacific C-50-4 bay window caboose.  It is a truly stunning model and one of the most beautiful models I have ever owned.  The detail is amazing and includes a full interior which I cannot even see.  There are detail parts for adding rock screens to the windows.  It has powered trucks and is ready to have lighting installed (I doubt I will ever do that).

I will happily run this caboose for friends and family.  If I ever join a club I will happily run it for public displays.  I really do love this model.  I will never speak of this again.

1 comment:

2023 Year in Review and Looking Ahead to 2024

  The New Year brings and opportunity to look back on the old year and reflect on how things have gone, and perhaps, learn some lessons that...