Monday, June 7, 2021

My Favorite - Southwestern Railroads

 Something I want to do from time to time is to explore some of my favorite aspects of railroading and model railroading.  There is so much diversity on the subject of railroads that you have to put some limits around it somehow.  My first installment is my favorite southwestern railroads.  This series will be a top 3 format but I might have some subject were there are more or less than three favorites.  Let's get started.

1. Southern Pacific Railroad


OK this one is pretty obvious but I wanted to start this off easy.  The Southern Pacific was not my first 'love' as it relates to railroads but as a young person able to explore on my own this was the railroad that drew me in to rail fanning.  As such it was my first serious model railroad subject.


I spent countless hours in the late 80's and into the early 90's exploring the Phoenix area as well as southern Arizona, mostly for old cars, but also watching trains.  At that time the Southern Pacific ruled the rails in southern Arizona.  It was also a time of distress for the railroad and the well worn look of the equipment really drew me in.


I was able to see some really interesting stuff that is now long gone - the huge copper smelter in Douglas Arizona, street running on Jackson St in Phoenix, lots of now lost industrial switching in Phoenix.

I really miss this railroad and while modern day UP operations, and shabby appearance, remind me of old SP the yellow just doesn't do it.

2. Santa Fe


The Santa Fe was the first railroad I remember seeing as a kid.  It is the other railroad that services the Phoenix area and it is the one I saw the most of growing up.  I always loved the blue and yellow scheme and their red caboose is the only one I remember ever seeing in service.


As a kid my family and I spent a lot of time in the northern Arizona.  Santa Fe dominates the northern half of the state and run along old route 66.  Its such a classic it has become cliche and that is the main reasons I did not get hooked on modeling the Santa Fe.


I now have a different feel for the Santa Fe.  I have already purchased a few yellow bonnet EMDs and I plan to run them on my railroad...but I am still an SP modeler.

3.  Rio Grande


Number three is a tough one for me to pick.  Not because I have so many to pick but because there are so few.  The Rio Grande wins almost by default.  It is the only other railroad that I remember seeing back in the 80s and 90s that was only due to the SP-Rio Grande merger.


I really like the black and orange color scheme and I really like it when they are really dirty.  I don't think I ever saw just a Rio Grande powered train but I did see them mixed with SP engines.


I really want to add a couple of Rio Grande GP40-2 to my roster.  I have already add a bunch of Rio Grande rolling stock to my collection.  

There it is, my favorite southwestern railroads.  These are the only railroads that I have actually seen in operation and naturally form the core of love of trains.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Year in Review and Looking Ahead to 2024

  The New Year brings and opportunity to look back on the old year and reflect on how things have gone, and perhaps, learn some lessons that...