Friday, February 12, 2021

The Big Move

 

Photo Credit - Travis Handschug from Having some fun with desert modeling | Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine (model-railroad-hobbyist.com)

The last several months has been dominated by my impending move to the new house.  The peak of these preparations coincided with my renewed interest in model railroading.  This really presented me with some serious frustration as I was not able to actually do anything other than dream and buy stuff.  Sadly, this is really a return to my previous arm-chair approach to the hobby and not the new start I was hoping for.  The good news is we closed on the new house and have completed the move.  The installation of my internet connection last night (after a 3 week delay) marks the end of the move and the beginning of living in the new place.

The last couple of weeks I have made some good progress in getting my home office/hobby space setup and I have even been able to build a few freight car kits.  This has really helped my mindset as I am actually doing something related to the hobby.  My purchases, as I already mentioned, continue during this transitional period and I think I have done pretty good with keeping the focus on the items I really need.  The problem is, as often happens with hobbies, I may have over done it a little.  After a couple of eBay locomotive purchases went south my friend Tim offered up a deal on several locomotives from his collection.  These are all like new Athearn units and are either RTR or Genesis models.  I bought six 6-axle locomotives, which is WAY more than I need but they are damn cool.  I now have more road power than switcher power!

One big struggle I have had is it is easier to make plans than it is to execute them, especially when life interferes. This move has kept me in limbo and things I felt pretty sure about a month or more ago I am no less certain of.  My imagination moves faster than reality. What I need to do now is get my mind, and plans, back in line with what I can accomplish and back in line with what I had previously blogged about.

Stay tuned for some actual hobby content and examples of my own work.  Things are now moving in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Year in Review and Looking Ahead to 2024

  The New Year brings and opportunity to look back on the old year and reflect on how things have gone, and perhaps, learn some lessons that...